Van Buren Elementary Home Page
« July 2017 »
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
3
4
5

 

A HISTORY OF THE
PORT NECHES INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT

Early Days to 1975

The following brief history of Port Neches schools relied on the works of three authors: Erleen Allred, W.T. Block, and Buck Ford. This sketchy historical overview of education in the Port Neches community from the earliest known days is a merger of information found in the three authors’ printed manuscripts. Others sources were also utilized. Mrs. Erleen Allred did an extensive amount of research and completed a document in 1976 relying greatly on interviews of long-time Port Neches resident and former school district employee Mr. E.S. Bellair. Mr. Bellair, 75 when interviewed, spent countless hours taxing his memory and talking with other residents who lived during the early school years. Among those he talked with were Roy East, Masil Smith, W.T. Block, Aaron Keith, Harry Beaumont, Oscar, Claudia, and Seawillow Whittington, Frank Crawford, Mrs. H.H. (Edna) Hodges, Mrs. Era Block Henderson, and William DeBlanc.

Mrs. Lena Hawthorne, long-time high school history teacher, also supplied a few facts on the early history. Mr. Bellair relied on The School Review of Jefferson County, Texas, 1921, to supply most of the information for 1921. That review was published with the assistance of Miss Mildred Parks, of the China school, and Mr. J.H. Hicks, Superintendent of the Port Neches school. Mr. Bellair also used the little history book of the First United Methodist Church of Port Neches written by Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Parsons for some of his input.

Records from the 1920s were found at the Port Neches ISD administration office. Dr. Oliver Monk, Superintendent, his secretary, Mrs. Ruth Smith, and Mr. Dalton Fox, former principal of Woodcrest Elementary School, were most helpful in supplying historical information of the last 50 years or so.

W.T. Block’s book, Sapphire City of the Neches, was the source of much historical data reported in this document. Mr. Block is a highly respected historian who has written extensively on local historical events and has personal knowledge of the much of the school’s development.

Buck Ford’s book, Down Trails of Victory, a thorough account of Port Neches football successes, rendered some insights on how and when many of the traditions observed today at Port Neches-Groves High School originated.

Charlie L. Reynolds
PN-G Class of 1957
Retired Ridgewood Elementary Principal
April 2003

   

Complete History....>>

Port Neches-Groves ISD operates without discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, or disability
in compliance with Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Section 504, and all other applicable civil rights legislation.

While Port Neches-Groves ISD makes every effort to monitor its website, we do not assume responsibility for the change of content
or appropriateness of any website or link beyond the original link that has been provided on this page.

Site Map | Privacy Policy | View "printer-friendly" page | Login   In Japanese  In Korean  En français  Auf Deutsch  In italiano   No português  En español  In Russian  
Site powered by SchoolFusion.com © 2017 - Educational website content management